Tuesday 17 December 2013

How to decorate your home for the holidays

Pin It!

So I found myself looking for ways to decorate our home for the holidays cause somehow I am lacking the Christmas spirit this year. My boyfriend likes very simple decorations, the traditional Christmas tree with red, blue or white baubles - done. And for a few years I went with that, but this year I want something a little different, something warm and cozy, so I was looking for what I could use or make and these are some nice ideas that I found.

1. Candles, candles, candles
For me candles are the ultimate makes of coziness and warmth, especially when it‘s dark and cold outside. Use regular or scented candles and simply put them in the middle of a wreath or decorate them with pine cones, evergreen or mistletoe. I also love the idea of putting candles in mason jars, you can make a lot with that.

 Decorate candles for Christmas with kishus and nutsDecorate candles for Chrstmas with any conifer like evergeern or a mistletoe


2. Wreaths 
Wreaths are great just because they can come in all kinds of different sizes and shapes and you can make them from almost anything. I have a wreath which I bought several years ago in a charity fair for disables kind and since it's made from cones and oak nuts and little red plastic apples, I think I will use it forever. I have never made a wreath myself, but if you are  little bit more DIY savvy than me, you can try some of these.




3. Pasta ornaments
I did quite a few of those this year. My favourite ate little pasta angels, the tutorial of which I will post in my next posts, but I also did several Christmas trees with my colleagues this year to decorate our office. It takes patience and strong glue :) but it's worth it, especially when those little angels are born :)


 Pasta angels Pasta Christmas tree

4. Lights in a jar or a lantern
Lights in a lantern
Whenever I see pics of this - it looks just magical, they are like jars full of fireflies. But I have tried this at home and well, with a jar you dace two problems - if your lights are the kind that you have to plug to a wall, there's no way you will close the jar and it won't be mobile, if your lights have batteries, the block you put the batteries in will be quite chunky and you will need a larger jar which your lights won't fill (like mine). Because of that, I think putting lights in a lantern and hanging in the porch (if you have one) would do the trick.

5. Nuts, tangerines and hot wine
I don't know how about you, but for me these three scream Christmas. Thus I always have them around at this time of the year (not so much the wine maybe). So try to think what's your ultimate Christmas snack or beverage, what says Christmas to you, maybe it's gingerbread cookies or maybe it's banana bread, a little eggnog? Try to make it avalable to you at all times (maybe go easy with the eggnog ;)) during the holidays and it will lift your spirits.

7. Advent calendar
I always have one, always always always. For me it's inseparable from the pre-Christmas time, because my Mom used to get one every year since I was a child. What's more, when I was little, we were still largely a very post-soviet country, so very little was available here, but my Mom used to travel with work a lot to Scandinavia and bring one every Christmas, it was something very special. So if you don't want to buy one with chocolates, you can make one at home and stuff it with anything you like. You can also check out my tutorial for a matchbox advent calendar here. Having one makes you and especially you kids wait for each day with eagerness to see what it brings.


My inspiration is from:
http://domo.plius.lt/interjeras/straipsniai/idejos-namams-sukurti-sventine-nuotaika?page_nr%20=1&utm_source=2013-12-16&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=naujienlaiskis&utm_term=2013-12-17
http://www.accentondesign.net/blog/?Tag=Christmas%20decorating
http://www.interiororiginal.com/wonderful-christmas-candles-and-decoration-ideas.html/wonderful-christmas-candles-and-decoration-ideas
http://www.merledress.com/blog/12-unique-christmas-mason-jar-ideas.html
http://www.woohome.com/diy-2/top-35-astonishing-diy-christmas-wreaths-ideas
http://www.bhg.com/christmas/wreaths/pretty-christmas-wreaths/#page=2

No comments:

Post a Comment